Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What ARE You Talking About?

If you didn't already know, I'm on the board of directors for our neighborhood's homeowner association. I just completed my first year which was marked by last night's annual meeting. This meeting is open to all the homeowners of the subdivision.

Some might assume that it's a bore to attend, but it is actually very entertaining.  These meetings tend to draw out the... how shall I say it... the more eccentric residents. Here are some of the more memorable quotes of the evening:

"I have 311 on speed dial." - This is the lady you go to if you have a question about a city ordinance because she knows them by heart.

"Next time you get a solicitor at your door, call me up and I'll get their a__ with my 357." - This was contributed by our tattoo covered, motorcycle driving, resident. Everything the man says (truly everything) is laced with profanity. Ben and I think he's a bounty hunter or something. That said, you'll never meet a man more diligent about trimming his shrubs.

"Well, everyone knows you need 7 trees to breath!" - This lady was upset about some construction taking place nearby and feared that her oxygen supply was threatened after the removal of the trees on the site. 

And there you have it. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm forever learning great stuff from your blog. I always knew (well, at least since I took biology) that we need trees, but no one ever explained the exact math of the relationship to me.

Thanks.

Gardiner Family said...

Think we could borrow your bounty hunter neighbor? We get solicitors ALL the time, and when I am home during the day it drives me crazy!

Ashley said...

I am amazed that some people have nothing better to do. We rent, but apparently someone in the neighborhood sent 2 letters to our landlord saying we had weeds. Ryan mows like every week! So, I had to explain to the owner that sometimes weeds do pop up in grass, and that we will make sure they do not reach up the 1 cm mark next time-Geez!

Anonymous said...

Feared her oxygen supply was threatened? You crack me up, Amy!