Saturday, June 27, 2009

Back from Hidalgo County

I know I didn't give many details of the mission trip prior to leaving, so I'm going to do that now. Our church youth group has done short term mission trips to Mexico since I was in highschool. We team up with an organization called, Mission Discovery. The purpose of the trip is to build homes (very modest homes) for the people living in the colonias near the border of the U.S. The students also lead a VBS club during the week.

Sometime during the early portion of this year, Mission Discovery made the decision to move this year's trip to the U.S. side because of the drug trafficking violence in Mexico. Our church was scheduled to work in Hidalgo County repairing homes that were in rough condition and to also lead a VBS club in the neighborhood.

Ben and I really prayed about whether or not to go on the trip, specifically whether I should go. We were concerned about both of us leaving the kids for an entire week. We ended up really feeling a peace about Ben going for the whole week, and me going through Wednesday.

We are both SO glad we went. It was a great time to deepen the relationships we have with our 8th graders, and we also got to know the younger students a lot better. I love how I become more aware of God's character; His sovereignty, His protection, His provision when I'm away from the comforts of my day to day life.

We were divided into three teams reparing three different homes all within a very close distance to one another. It's really hard to find the words to describe the condition of the homes, but "unlivable" comes to mind. Throughout the week we put on new siding, removed and replaced damaged sheet rock, replaced broken windows, added sinks, and repaired roofs.

Ben's handyman skills were eagerly put to use. He was supervising one of the sites. After the first day he turned in a list of the supplies he needed for all of the projects, one of them being the installation of a new sink. The contractor that received the list was convinced that whoever wrote it had to be a plumber. They referred to him as, "the plumber" throughout the rest of the week. :)

On the last work day (I had already left) Ben told me that all the teams gathered together with the three families to pray for them. The wife from the home that was probably in the worst condition told our group that God had given her a vision years before that her home would be repaired. The students knew that their work was appreciated by the families, but it was so humbling to learn they were part of something bigger; they were used by God to show His faithfulness to this woman.

It was hot week, and unfortuantely a stomach bug was going around so the team came home a day early. But despite some of those rough spots, the students had a lot of fun, and we did too!

**A big thank you to my parents and sister who watched Elena and Evan while we were gone!**

1 comment:

Marty said...

Glad we could help. 'Course Charlotte was the smooth organizer. I was impressed how well Evan went down each night so I quickly volunteered for that duty. He inventories his blanket, spinning fan, bottle, and book. He puts his head down. He crashes. I feel like a genius.

Elena went down pretty well herself. Until the night before she was to see Mom...and she concluded she needed to see Mom like right now.