Friday, June 26, 2009

5 Years

Today we celebrated our 5th anniversary!!! Originally we thought that Ben would be gone until tomorrow, but due to a stomach bug rapidly being passed around on the mission trip, they came home a day early. Our sweet friends, the Kadanes, stepped in at the last minute to watch the kids and we headed out for a night on the town.

Okay, our definition of a "night on the town", might be a little different than yours. We went to Texas Land and Cattle for dinner and watched the new Pixar movie, "UP!" I feel like I have to give a quick defense for these choices. First of all, I have been craving steak since, I don't know... the beginning of the pregnancy. So a romantic atmosphere was not on my priority list, but rather the size of the chunk of cow they offered on their menu. By the way, for the first time in our marriage I ordered and devoured a larger steak than Ben... yeah it made him feel slightly akward. :) And since we never see movies in the theater, we wanted to go with something that had really good ratings. We couldn't risk watching a bust on our only trip to the cinema in three years. We did really like the movie; very random and very deep at the same time. It actually is a great movie to watch with your spouse. 

Ben wrote me the sweetest note with his reflections on how our marriage is better than he expected and shared some of the unexpected reasons why... very romantic. He always puts my notes in the card to shame. :) Thank you Ben, that was the best gift! 

I feel so blessed to see God's hand of protection on our marriage.  I'm more and more aware that's it's not us "making things work", but inviting Him to work in us.  

I love you Ben. 

2 comments:

mark said...

Your evening sounds great to me, but I believe the true love and romance in mariage is in the day to day. I really want to see "Up" in the theater too and there is precious little I care about seeing in a theater (especially since I know that eventually I'll see just about everything released from the seat of a plane).

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that it worked out that Ben could be home and you could have some time together! A blessing that came out of the flu :).
-Lindsey