Sunday, November 2, 2008

November 1st

WARNING - THIS IS BORDER-LINE SAPPY :)

I had the best surprise Saturday night. Unbeknownst to me, Ben had made arrangements for us to go out in honor of our first date, exactly six years ago. Ben is wonderful about planning surprises, but I usually have an idea when something is in the making since the surprises normally fall around my birthday or our anniversary.  This time however, I was completely caught off guard. 

I won't give you the entire story of how we met and fell in love, but I'll give you enough so that you can appreciate what he did last night. 




We were at Texas A&M in the same marketing class six years ago. We had met earlier that year, and then sorta ran into "each other" in the class (that's the abridged version). On the day we "ran into each other", Ben asked where I was headed after class.  I told him that I had to high-tale-it over to the Administration Building where I worked (it was about a 30 minute walk). Surprisingly, he was also headed over there too!  Actually he wasn't; it was a complete lie. We had a great time talking that day and we ended up walking together every Mon, Wed and Fri for the next two weeks. Funny note here -  every time Ben dropped me off, he waited for me to go into the building and then he'd turn right around and head back over to west campus.

At the end of those two weeks he asked me out for the following Friday. It wasn't until this point that I was completely sure he was interested... I really thought he was just friendly (duh!). Ben let me know the type of outfit that would be appropriate, but the location and events were going to be a surprise. 

Friday night came. He picked me up at my apartment and we walked down to the car. When he opened my door for me, there was a gerber daisy in the seat and a pack of my favorite gum. I was thinking - nice touch, this guy cares about the details!  Little did I know, that Ben is the most observant guy I had/would ever meet.

We started driving, and then we kept driving... and driving... and driving! Once we were outside of College Station I think I assumed we were going to a restaurant in the country or something. Finally I asked where we were headed, and he tells me, "Houston"!!! 

As we get into the Galleria area he tells me where we would be dining - The Cheesecake Factory! Yum! We enjoyed an awesome dinner, and then afterwords went to play put-put golf. The only problem there, was that a ridiculous cold front had moved through. I think we only lasted 5 holes in the 50 degree weather before we called it a night. 

So, that was the first date. It was a huge success as far as first dates go!




On Saturday afternoon, about 4ish, Ben let me know, "We're Going Out!" I was really surprised and excited, but more confused than anything because it seemed so random. But oh my goodness, once he explained, I was beyond happy. I mean, he could have taken me to Burger King at that point and I still would have been thrilled. 

Once I was ready, we went out to our car. He opens my door and there are six gerber daisy's and six packs of my favorite gum on the seat! As you might be able to guess at this point, we ate at the Cheesecake Factory, and after dinner enjoyed a competitive round of put-put.

I love how creative Ben is and that he still takes the effort to surprise me! Thank you Ben for such an awesome night that brought back wonderful memories. I love you!


7 comments:

Michelle said...

I knew Ben was the guy for you after that first date. Only someone who takes that much effort could win your heart. Like me, he knows you are so worth all of the effort.

Courtney said...

wow, that is so totally awesome! It might be my highly charged emotional state as of late, but I have tears in my eyes. Ben is an awesome guy, and the two of you are cute as can be together!

Sarah said...

you had my eyes welling up with tears with that story! what a blessing that your husband is so thoughtful and what a wonderful thing for your kids to obverve!

nate and liz said...

That is so awesome! So, just remember (I'm sure you do) that when his "detail oriented mind" drives yours nuts, remember times like this. Tell Ben I'm proud of him and couldn't ask for a better husband for my dear friend.
~love ya!

Ashley said...

wow, west campus to the admin. He really loves you! Thanks for sharing your sweet love story!

The Hvass Family said...

I'm smiling! Love it! What a wonderful guy!

Queen of the house! said...

WOW WOW WOW...enough said!