Thursday, November 6, 2008

His First Word Is... Your Pick


I'm really torn on what to label as Evan's first word. In the hopes of one day actually making a baby book for him ('ya hear me there, right Stephanie?) I need help deciding which word to put in that baby book blank.

He started saying, "Da-da" on command a couple of months ago. It wasn't just completely meaningless babble, because he would say it after we asked him to, BUT I don't think he connected "Da-da" with Ben either. 

Then, a couple of weeks ago, he dropped something and said, "uh-uh-uh-oh".  At first I thought it might be a coincidence, but within the hour he did it again, and he still continues to say "uh-oh" when he drops something.

And now, as of yesterday, "Da-da" morphed into "Da-dy" and he seems to be connecting it with Ben. 

So, what do ya think - Da-da or Uh-oh?

9 comments:

Courtney said...

First off, I love that picture of Evan. Then secondly, I've always been told that something counts as a word when it has meaning or consistency for the child. So in that sense, I'd say Uh-oh for the first word.

Gardiner Family said...

Yeah...I'd say it is "uh-ho" since he knew what it meant. That is exciting that he is picking up on ways to communicate :-) Although I hope there aren't alot of "uh-ho's" in the future for him!!

Kurt and Meg said...

I vote for uh-oh...sorry Ben. :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't know "uh oh" was a word, but it does have meaning, which he obviously understands, so I guess it can be counted! I love the picture of Evan, too.
Gran

Anonymous said...

"Pa"

Sarah said...

my vote is "uh-oh" too!

Stephanie said...

What's wrong with you people!?! Will saying that his first word is "uh-oh" endear him to anyone? No! You've GOT to go with "Da-da", which is obviously the word he MEANT to say first. He just made a little uh-oh by not perfecting his form in time. :)

The Shepard Girls said...

In Ben's defense, I'm with Stephanie, definitely Da-dy. Even though it has meaning, "Uh oh" is a sound, not a word. Daddy, definitely a word!

Queen of the house! said...

Sounds like he understood "uh-oh" first, but you know it makes a cute story so I would write about it in the ""so called" book, and put both as his first two words....just a thought!