Monday, May 5, 2008

Beep, beep, beep...

Those of you in Sunday school yesterday know where this is headed.

Ben and I were sitting in the back row of our Sunday school class,  listening to the teaching yesterday, when Ben leans over to say something (his "chattiness" in church is a huge pet peeve of mine - I hate being a potential distraction.)

Ben: "Do you have any Chapstick?"

Amy: "No, just Carmex."

Ben makes a "That's disgusting!" face and goes back to listening for a few seconds, and then...

Ben: "Okay, I'll take it."

I then pick up my purse to begin looking. Just to paint a picture - my purse is possibly the size of some carry-on luggage...but very cute! I look in small outside pocket #1 (the usual place for my Carmex), but it's not there. 

Amy: Sigh, this will not be easy to find. (Italics are thoughts to myself)

I look in small outside pocket #2, small inside zipper pocket, medium inside zipper pocket. Still no Carmex.

Amy: What's that? 

I suddenly stop looking because I'm distracted by the sound of a faint, "Beep, beep, beep.."

Amy: What an odd ringtone for someone choose.

"Beep, beep, beep..."

Amy: Wait a minute, that sounds like it's right by me. 

"Beep, beep, beep..."

Amy: My pager! Something's wrong with it! (We have pagers for our kids in the nursery.)

I turn my pager off.

"Beep, beep, beep.."

I try hitting my pager. No luck. I begin slapping the other pager on Ben's belt.

"Beep, beep, beep..."

The looks from everyone in the class now confirm that we are the source of the problem... more like the source and the problem. But I am so baffled.

Amy: Could it be something in my purse?

I look in small outside pocket #1, small outside pocket #2, small inside zipper pocket, medium inside pocket...

Amy: Wait a minute, what is THIS?

I then pull out the culprit.... Catchphrase!

There is really no good explanation as to why I had this noise-making game in my purse. I'll just say, that I put the game in my purse the night before so I would remember to return it to the Kadanes. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Obviously, I had completely forgotten about it being there.

Ben's "chattiness" does not seem as distracting as before.



6 comments:

Abby said...

So what was the word?

Anonymous said...

I, too, am married to someone who likes to talk into my ear in group settings such as Sunday school. He has found that after some hearing loss, I can no longer understand his "low talking" and I now find that there is less chatting. So maybe if you'll just be patient for 25-30 more years, the problem will resolve itself ;)

sullyssite said...

Funny! Wish I could have been there to witness the scene. Did you find the Carmax? =)
Thanks for all your work yesterday!
Love ya, P.B.

Anonymous said...

I’m quite sure that the Chapstick request was the “exception that proves the rule”, and that most of the time (as it the habit of his father) Ben only whispers carefully selected morsels of wisdom to you in Sunday school and church so as to maximize your edification at that moment in order to love you as Christ loves the church. Try not (as some have) to turn a deaf ear.

Sarah said...

That cracks me up! I've got to see this purse of yours! It sounds like something mary poppins might have! :)

Stephanie said...

Whoa...that's a LOUD beep that game makes! I'm waiting to receive the one I bought on E-bay; now I'll know better than to ever carry it in my purse! :) Too funny!