Thursday, January 28, 2010

Birthday Girl


Elena turned 4 on Monday!
(I think I'll do a post about everything we love about her separately, so stay tuned for that)


Part of the celebration included heading to Chick-fil-a for dinner. I love that she is so easy to please. She was thrilled to go there for dinner, overjoyed about getting an adult-sized water cup and straw, and hasn't stopped talking about getting an ice-cream cone at the end of dinner.

At home we opened gifts from family. She loved them all and I love that she has been so occupied lately. Our gift to her was a kitchen set. I've been wanting to give her one for awhile now, and if I'm being honest the the big reason is because I think they are so adorable. The kitchen was a hit, but especially the working 1-minute timer. She gave great faces the first couple times it went off. (Ben captured some really good expressions!)


Her Daddy surprised her with 4 gerber daisies when he got home from work.




The kitchen

Watching the timer tick down...

RRRRRRRRRRing!

So that was Monday.

On Tuesday the birthday girl experienced the flip-side of turning a year older and went to see the doctor.

She was actually really excited to go. She kept telling Evan that she was going to teach him how to be brave. The visit was a completely new experience for me as a mom. We've only done the well-child visits for babies and toddlers, but big girl visits are very different. There was the hearing test, the eye-sight examination, and did you know they expect 4-yr olds to pee in a cup?!?! (The back up plan for that one is that mom wears a glove and catches it in the cup... yay.)

Elena beamed with pride after each portion of the check-up and again emphasized to Evan that there's nothing to be afraid of. But her confidence came to a screeching halt when she heard the nurse quietly utter the S-word - shots. Elena's lip began to quiver. I gave her a hug, began encouraging her, and by the time the nurse came back with the needles Elena was surprisingly calm. She didn't pitch a fit or really even cry when she got them. I was so proud of that girl!!!

9 comments:

mark said...

1) I wish we'd figured out how to give her father shots without making a huge scene when he was a kid. 2) The pictures of Lanie with Scooby Doo climbing out of her pocket are adorable. 3) Probably shouldn't comment on the hair given that I'm aware of the history, but I really think her new short cut is cute on her.

Susan said...

I agree with Mark...her hair is adorable! I love the pics with her Scooby sticker...thanks for posting them, Amy.

Anonymous said...

I love those little kitchens!! What a great birthday!

Ashley said...

we are 0 for 2 with the pee in a cup thing. But at least Cara doesn't completely freak out when we go to the doc anymore (she's 5). She did tell me that getting her hearing test was scary last week though ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures...had been looking forward to her 4th birthday report:) She's such a doll,and I agree about her hair!
Gran

Sarah said...

what a sweet post. she's really growing up!

Emily said...

awww! I love that she did so well! What a brave girl! We all can't WAIT to see you guys this summer in Swansboro! :)

Michelle said...

She looks so much more like you with her very cute hair cut. Tell her I love her so much.

Kristin =) said...

I laughed when you said mentioned the back up plan for peeing in a cup=)