Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sometimes You've Got to Stop and Smell the......Wha?!?

First let me say that having Elena really helps me slow down and appreciate the little things that I would normally write off as routine. She is elated when she comes across a bug or the remains of a popped balloon outside, and she always wants me to share in her excitement. Now, let me share this related story…


I was in Elena’s room putting up laundry when I hear her exclaim from the living room, “See! Look Mommy, Look!”.  In typical Elena fashion, she repeats this rapidly another dozen times as she comes to show me what’s in her hand. I have to admit that with so many exciting discoveries, I tend to have a pretty casual interest. I hold out my hand but was not looking at it. She places her new treasure into my palm and I look down….it was poo.  So there I am holding her poo.

I took a couple of seconds trying to figure out how this happened, but with no answers, I salvaged the moment by turning it into our first potty-training lesson, “Elena, this goes into the toilet…etc”

It was not the grossest thing I’ve experienced as a mom, but it’s up there. J

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your stories. This one is so much fun to hear about from 180 miles away. I must warn you though: Beware of toddlers bearing poo, we'll talk privately about my experiences with one of my children...let's just say it doesn't always end up in your hand or in the potty

Anonymous said...

Bet next time you look before you put out your hand.

sullyssite said...

Haven't experienced that yet... thanks for the heads-up. Fun times fun times. People without kids don't know the beginning of exciting or the definition of unexpected surprises.
love ya, liz

Abby said...

Gosh... sorry I missed that one :P