Thursday, December 9, 2010

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!

I think at some point every kid faces the crushing disappointment of finding out that the one Christmas gift you want in the entire world is deemed too dangerous to own by their parents.

A few weeks ago, Elena was browsing a Walmart circular when she suddenly stopped on a page and gasped with glee. She had found a picture of a very happy girl making the most scrumptious cakes with a miraculous toy - an Easy Bake Oven. Elena ran over to me announcing that this was the toy that she "most wanted" for Christmas.

My immediate thought was - no way. Way too messy, way too dangerous for solo play, way too big to store in my kitchen (since it certainly couldn't be kept in her room).

I needed a reason to give her, so I first pointed out the price. When I told her, it was $18, her eyes widened - $18 must be a lot of money based on my tone of voice. Then I looked at the picture of the packaging and saw that the recommended age was six and up (perfect!). I explained the "6+" symbol to her and that it is there to protect 4 yr olds.

She turned around; engulfed in disappointment.

A few minutes later she came back and asked me, "Mom, do you have $1?" Sensing a trap, I didn't answer her question, but reached out for the circular she was again handing me. And then I saw this:




I burst out laughing!! But Elena never cracked a smile. She acted like the new price and recommended age had always been there, that I was crazy for thinking otherwise, and she still does not admit to tampering with the circular. Heaven help us.


6 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you have this blog to record all these priceless moments. What a smart little girl!

The Shepard Girls said...

THAT. IS. HILARIOUS!

The Goods said...

oh my word - She sure is a smart one!

Ashley said...

That is great! BTW Cate wanted one of these so bad so I finally gave in this year. She's 9 though so I can't use the age thing anymore. She did say it was small enough to keep in her room but I shot that down right away.

Michelle said...

Hahahahahaha!Love her!

Aunt Kathy said...

Oh my..,she is a character!That is so funny!