Monday, March 22, 2010

Light Handed Laney


This being a Monday, Elena and Evan went to Kids Day Out today. Well, after she came back home this afternoon, Elena ran upstairs and came down a few moments later wearing not one but two never-before-seen hair clips. While her hands were empty leaving school, her pockets apparently weren't. Furthermore, I could immediately tell from the look on her face that she had deliberately snuck them out of school.

I asked her, "Elena wear did you get those?" She replied with a story about how the squirrel on the playground told her she could have them.

Hmmm, it may be difficult to catch her in a lie when she gets older, but at this age... I feel pretty confident on making the call.

We had a little lesson on telling the truth and then I got more of the story; how she did find them on the playground, but that they belong to another girl, but the girl said Elena could have them. Then Elena closed her story with a dramatic plea, "Please Mom, it's my only chance!"

Huh? Only chance for what? Hair bows? Does my daughter feel that desperate for accessories that she feels like she has to lift them off of unsuspecting girls at the playground? Where, oh where, have I gone wrong (umm, actually don't answer that).

7 comments:

Susan said...

I've been waiting for this day. In my experience frisking will be required from here on out.

mark said...

Never underestimate the corrupting influence of playground squirrels; they are little devils (ask Ben). Beyond that remember to always "be firm but fair."

Abby said...

I hope you had more control than I would have when she told you about the generous squirrels... I don't think I could have stopped myself from laughing :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE the squirrel story!

Sarah said...

elana can come to our house any day and swipe all of jenna's bows and clips. she refuses to wear them and even throws a fit when i brush her hair.

Michelle said...

Now I know what to bring to Elena the next time we come to visit. Give her a hug for me and tell her she is beautiful with or without bows in her hair.

nate and liz said...

Hahaaa Whatever it takes to be beautiful! ;) It has been crazy around these parts... I'll call you soon! Miss you! ~liz